The Hidden Cost of Trading Stocks
2014-06-23, 07:05 PM,
[Image: stock-market.jpg]

Code:
There’s no escaping the conclusion that the stock market is not a level playing field where all investors, large and small, have an equal shot at a fair deal.

A recent groundbreaking study found that undetected insider trading occurs in a stunning one-fourth of public-company deals. Experts have long debated the pros and cons of high-frequency trading, another pervasive practice, but there is no doubt that it gives superfast traders the jump on others in trading stocks. And the very idea of trading on a public exchange, where stock prices and trading volumes are visible to all, is being eclipsed by private trading of public stocks in off-exchange venues, called dark pools, usually operated by banks.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

Thomas Farley, left, Joseph Ratterman, Joseph Brennan and Steven Quirk testified on Capitol Hill on Tuesday.DealBook: At Senate Hearing, Brokerage Firms Called Out for ConflictsJUNE 17, 2014
Andrew Ross Sorkin examines a new study that found a quarter of all public company deals may involve some kind of insider trading.DealBook Column: Study Asserts Startling Numbers of Insider Trading RoguesJUNE 16, 2014
These are not the only ways in which big market players make money at the expense of other investors. The Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations recently held a hearing on “maker-taker” pricing in which stock exchanges pay rebates to brokers for sending them buy-and-sell orders. The practice has been around for years, as a growing number of exchanges — there are now 11 public exchanges in the United States — have battled for business. What is new is the compelling evidence that the rebates are corrupting.

Under federal trading rules, brokers must provide “best execution,” which usually means finding the best stock prices for clients who pay them to buy and sell shares. But the rules also recognize that for some trades, getting the best price is only one part of best execution; the speed, size and cost of a trade must also be considered.

READ MORE

Any questions related to CPA belong here.
Before posting, make sure you are in the correct section.

I am temporarily absent due to family circumstances.

2014-06-25, 07:20 PM,
I got into trading stocks when I learned about Dave Ramsey and trying to build a financial future. Normally I only invest in mutual funds that have a track record of about 10 years with a 10% growth rate.

Normally most stocks like that outperform the S&P 500 by about 3%-4%. The rate of inflation is about 8%. If you're not investing in stocks that have a growth rate of 8% or more you're losing the value of your investment.

My goal is to eventually have 300K in stocks and just live off of the 10% interest per year which is about what I make now with my 9-5. As inflation keeps happening I'm sure that number will rise to meet the current market demands.

With the type of money people are making in CPA/PPD I'm surprised I don't see more about investing in stocks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPhone X Face ID Unlock Fail (Apple Stocks Dropped After The Event) LB'Decoy 10 294 2017-09-27, 06:17 PM
Last Post: CarolA
  Marijuana Found Hidden In “Stomach Fat” Of 450-Pound Florida Man HawkEye 6 601 2014-06-25, 04:25 AM
Last Post: filozofulfoilor
  Anyone invest in stocks? dzep 10 928 2014-05-09, 06:54 AM
Last Post: setileapc
  Quote "Trading time for money" Discuss ImVybe 2 301 2014-03-03, 12:42 PM
Last Post: hessa11
  Buying/Trading Windows 7 Ultimate Key For Money/Mentoring Etc... [URGENT] LinX 3 413 2013-11-23, 02:55 AM
Last Post: LinX

About Us | Contact Us | CPA Elites | Advertise | Stats | Staff Team

© 2013-2017 CPA Elites Ltd
Enhanced by MyBB and WallBB
Return to top