Stole My Money :'(
2016-03-01, 07:49 PM,
Well it's kind of embarrassing since I'm getting my bachelors in cyber security and do PEN testing on the side, but I guess it happens to everyone. I was RFID scanned somewhere because I always check ATM's and gas pumps for card scanners before I use them, so someone somewhere got me. They replicated my debit card and drained my bank account for thousands in another state.

I woke up last Friday to my bank account being -$300 and thousands of dollars gone. I went to my bank and filled out all the paperwork and they said they would investigate it but I wouldn't get my money back until they could prove it wasn't me who spent it. I called police in my state and the state it happened in, both said they couldn't do anything to call my bank. I had even tracked down all addresses to places where the money was spent and they still said they couldn't do anything.

Now I had to cancel all my credit cards because I don't know if they had gotten my other numbers too. I bought one of those wallets that protect from RFID scans so now when I get my new cards I'll be protected from that kind of attack.

I'm always safe when and how I use my cards anywhere, always checking for scanners attached, only use my real debit card on certain sites that I know are safe (even though nothing is 100% safe). I have been doing cyber security as a hobby for years so I know what to look for.

But like I said nothing is ever 100% safe and that includes you no matter what precautions you take, you're always at risk. So as a lesson to me and a lot of other people it can happen to anyone no matter how safe you try to be. So be safe elites, don't be as naive as me and think it can't happen to you. Protect your money.

Oh and one more thing... I have ID protection from experian and I didn't get 1 alert when this happened, that's some good protection!
2016-03-01, 07:54 PM,
(2016-03-01, 07:49 PM)The_Mentor Wrote: Well it's kind of embarrassing since I'm getting my bachelors in cyber security and do PEN testing on the side, but I guess it happens to everyone. I was RFID scanned somewhere because I always check ATM's and gas pumps for card scanners before I use them, so someone somewhere got me. They replicated my debit card and drained my bank account for thousands in another state.

I woke up last Friday to my bank account being -$300 and thousands of dollars gone. I went to my bank and filled out all the paperwork and they said they would investigate it but I wouldn't get my money back until they could prove it wasn't me who spent it. I called police in my state and the state it happened in, both said they couldn't do anything to call my bank. I had even tracked down all addresses to places where the money was spent and they still said they couldn't do anything.

Now I had to cancel all my credit cards because I don't know if they had gotten my other numbers too. I bought one of those wallets that protect from RFID scans so now when I get my new cards I'll be protected from that kind of attack.

I'm always safe when and how I use my cards anywhere, always checking for scanners attached, only use my real debit card on certain sites that I know are safe (even though nothing is 100% safe). I have been doing cyber security as a hobby for years so I know what to look for.

But like I said nothing is ever 100% safe and that includes you no matter what precautions you take, you're always at risk. So as a lesson to me and a lot of other people it can happen to anyone no matter how safe you try to be. So be safe elites, don't be as naive as me and think it can't happen to you. Protect your money.

Oh and one more thing... I have ID protection from experian and I didn't get 1 alert when this happened, that's some good protection!

Fuckers, it will only get worse too! :/
2016-03-01, 07:58 PM,
(2016-03-01, 07:54 PM)ϟ★Hawk Eye★ϟ Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 07:49 PM)The_Mentor Wrote: Well it's kind of embarrassing since I'm getting my bachelors in cyber security and do PEN testing on the side, but I guess it happens to everyone. I was RFID scanned somewhere because I always check ATM's and gas pumps for card scanners before I use them, so someone somewhere got me. They replicated my debit card and drained my bank account for thousands in another state.

Yup, I ordered all new cards that have a chip in it to help prevent it again along with the wallet. I was told if I wanted to press charges I would have to pay for court myself but that's kind of hard since the cops won't investigate it to see who it was. America! lol
2016-03-01, 08:04 PM,
Lol dafuq, don't you just have to prove that you weren't in that state?
2016-03-01, 08:11 PM,
(2016-03-01, 08:04 PM)YoYoSquad Wrote: Lol dafuq, don't you just have to prove that you weren't in that state?

I was at my bank complaining while charges were being racked up, so the people at my bank know I wasn't in Chicago while this was happening. But it's up to their fraud department to prove that they said, so in the mean time I just get to be broke until they do whatever they have to do. It's the biggest bullshit I've ever heard in my life but I've done everything in my power, now it's just a waiting game.
2016-03-01, 08:12 PM,
(2016-03-01, 07:58 PM)The_Mentor Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 07:54 PM)ϟ★Hawk Eye★ϟ Wrote:

Yup, I ordered all new cards that have a chip in it to help prevent it again along with the wallet. I was told if I wanted to press charges I would have to pay for court myself but that's kind of hard since the cops won't investigate it to see who it was. America! lol

Sucks dude!
2016-03-01, 08:28 PM,
How much did they get?

[Image: oit5ag.jpg]
2016-03-01, 08:32 PM,
(2016-03-01, 08:28 PM)Biosade Wrote: How much did they get?

Almost 2k, over 2k if you count all fees from them overdrawing my account.
2016-03-01, 08:42 PM,
(2016-03-01, 08:32 PM)The_Mentor Wrote:

I'm sorry to hear this. Don't let such stupid people affect you. You are smart, they are not. Is a big difference! If your cred card were cloned then there must be something at the ATM, did the polices investigated there? Or they don't give a crap?

2016-03-01, 08:51 PM,
(2016-03-01, 08:42 PM)Diamondo Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 08:32 PM)The_Mentor Wrote:

I'm sorry to hear this. Don't let such stupid people affect you. You are smart, they are not. Is a big difference! If your cred card were cloned then there must be something at the ATM, did the polices investigated there? Or they don't give a crap?

So far it's like no one cares at bank or police. I'm just glad it happened before I got a 4K deposit I'm supposed to be getting lol, that would have been even worse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Money you spend for your Internet Connection grenadez 24 567 2017-10-17, 12:44 PM
Last Post: dante
  Where do you spend all of your money georgeh 23 518 2017-09-08, 06:36 PM
Last Post: SonarClick
  Do you guys pay taxes on your IM money ElitesCPABoss 23 670 2017-08-23, 09:38 PM
Last Post: George_AdCombo
  If you had money to startup a new business what would that be? HawkEye 30 729 2017-07-28, 11:09 AM
Last Post: prakashda
  How much money you have earned in 2016 pramila 19 592 2017-07-16, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Xaos

About Us | Contact Us | CPA Elites | Advertise | Stats | Staff Team

© 2013-2017 CPA Elites Ltd
Enhanced by MyBB and WallBB
Return to top