Racism at the Starbucks
2018-04-20, 08:12 PM,
Starbucks employee calls the police after asking some black guys to leave.

Read the full story https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/st...f-12366115
Share This Thread :

2018-04-20, 08:16 PM,
Just now read about it, I don't think it was down to skin colour.
2018-04-20, 08:40 PM,
Really feels bad that racism is still exists
2018-04-20, 08:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 2018-04-20, 08:46 PM by Dowls.)
This may prove controversial, it may not. I obviously don't know which way the majority of this forum leans when it comes to political thoughts, however this is in no way racist.

Most restaurants/cafes only allow paying customers to use the toilet facilities.
Most if not all restaurants will only allow paying customers to sit in their facilities, some even charge extra for sitting in. At this point they were not paying customers, they could have easily ordered a coffee or something small while waiting. Especially when confronted, how much is a can of juice or a small snack? $1 or $2?

They don't give a timescale as to how long they were "waiting for a friend" or how busy the shop was.
Not only that but the police asked them to move on and they didn't, which is why they were arrested.

People are too quick to call racism and base an argument around hypothetical events. Handled poorly at the worst.
2018-04-20, 09:20 PM,
I don't really think black or racism has something to do with it.
2018-04-20, 09:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 2018-04-20, 09:53 PM by SwiffJustus.)
@ Handled poorly at the worst.

Ya, Think?

No it wasn't racism I don't think. so I can agree and we both ONLY ASSUME..
Could they have just bought a cup of coffee and not be so dramatic ..ABSOLUTELY !

If you're saying if that was a couple of white Fraternity Guys this would have been viewed in the same
light and handled the same way, you are in a state of severe delusion or denial..take your pick!

This was a case of what it usually is, Not Racism at all just stereotypical FEAR of the Unknown and
conjured scenarios of what might be unfolding, rather real or imagined!

Did they have the right to ask them  to leave..yes they did!
Should they have been arrested for disobeying the officers..Technically Yes..
Could this have been avoided by them just buying a cup of coffee ..Probably.

Did the Managers and workers fear they may be something going on with them criminally. That I have no doubt Of...
Was it because they were people of Color? You would have to ask them? But I think we know the answer to that..
Does this make them Racist..Absolutely not, It makes em like 90% of the people like them in similar situations..
FEARFUL Of this particular situation and similar ones..But that doesn't make them Racist, I'm sure they all have
Friends of color, THAT THEY KNOW, That they have no problem with.. It's mostly the ones they don't know
They MAY be Leary of  for one reason or another..Media, I mean we watch the news, it is what it is... I'm Leary sometimes
too lol, I'M JUST KEEPING IT 100 and could care less what people think...or it could be from talking to friends with different viewpoints whatever..Most times we can't Help what we FEAR!

So in that case did they have the right to call the Police... Technically Yes..

If Anyone thinks this was about a simple case of cut and dry Racism, you haven't a Clue. or choose not too..
But it did have to do with perception BIG TIME and maybe rightfully so in the employees mind.Maybe not.

WE ARE SO QUICK TO ARGUE WHETHER SOMETHING IS RACIST OR NOT JUST TO GET ON OUR COLLECTIVE SOAP BOXES
AND YELL OUR OPINIONS WE MOST TIMES MISS THE WHOLE ACTUAL NATURE OF THE SITUATION. PERIOD..

SO NOT I DON'T THINK IT WAS RACISM I THINK IT WAS FEAR !!

And well, can you blame someone for following their gut feeling.. I mean that's what we're always telling people right?
They were scared and called the police, that is not racist but they would never admit it cause they would be deemed as such. some people are just, How can I put this, a bit more cautious in certain situations but that doesn't make them racist
just as I stated earlier, kinda driven by fear.

We need to stop always clustering things in the racist basket for the sake of discussion and look at the underlying issues here.  

IM DONE HERE !
2018-04-20, 10:02 PM,
I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about. I don't think it's because they are black at all.
2018-04-20, 10:09 PM,
The same thing happened with me too at KFC, Racism? No.
2018-04-20, 10:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 2018-04-20, 10:19 PM by Dowls.)
I believe 100% white frat guys would have been told to move on. Those guys can create an intimidating atmosphere for many people.

I've sat in a restaurant with friends after eating a meal, nursing a drink or two because there isn't really anywhere else to go and had dirty looks off of staff making it clear they weren't happy with the situation. The only difference is they were constantly coming across to our table and asking us if we'd finished our drinks, if we were getting dessert etc. We're just some young guys having a drink, meal & a laugh in a somewhat quiet bar, only difference is nobody on that day was blunt enough to say get out or you're being too disruptive (which we weren't). (When I say drinks, we're not talking alcohol either). Granted it wouldn't have escalated as far, because we'd have accepted their stance and probably never return to that branch again.

Again, it's hypothetical at best. It wasn't a group of frat boys but would a group of frat boys have even made it to the news? Would they be getting the same pity party or told that it could have been intimidating and off putting for customers? Again, all hypothetical and not worth debating. There's no facts.

Only the workers can state why the police were called and as far as we've been told it's because they weren't paying customers. Which they weren't.

EDIT: What are the workers supposed to be scared of? Racial stereotypes?
2018-04-20, 10:47 PM,
(2018-04-20, 10:18 PM)Dowls Wrote: I believe 100% white frat guys would have been told to move on. Those guys can create an intimidating atmosphere for many people.

I've sat in a restaurant with friends after eating a meal, nursing a drink or two because there isn't really anywhere else to go and had dirty looks off of staff making it clear they weren't happy with the situation. The only difference is they were constantly coming across to our table and asking us if we'd finished our drinks, if we were getting dessert etc. We're just some young guys having a drink, meal & a laugh in a somewhat quiet bar, only difference is nobody on that day was blunt enough to say get out or you're being too disruptive (which we weren't). (When I say drinks, we're not talking alcohol either). Granted it wouldn't have escalated as far, because we'd have accepted their stance and probably never return to that branch again.

Again, it's hypothetical at best. It wasn't a group of frat boys but would a group of frat boys have even made it to the news? Would they be getting the same pity party or told that it could have been intimidating and off putting for customers? Again, all hypothetical and not worth debating. There's no facts.

Only the workers can state why the police were called and as far as we've been told it's because they weren't paying customers. Which they weren't.

EDIT: What are the workers supposed to be scared of? Racial stereotypes?

YET YOU'RE DEBATING ON -LOL

Whew, are you reallyserious, I meant Frat boys just sitting there like they were, not swinging from the rafters like animal house
and I didn't mean they wouldn't have been told to leave I just meant if they would have refused to leave in an orderly manner
like these guys the Police wouldn't have been called..PERIOD

Sir I am afraid you, whether consciously or sub- consciously, are viewing this in a certain way and just like I can't help them with their fear
I can't help you either...

I'm done with this this altogether..
I have money to make to if you chose to ramble on feel free..

"Same Pity Party"... That little statement told me all i needed to or care to know about you sir...