Oloty's Help Desk | C#, Python, Java, PHP
2014-01-05, 10:46 PM,
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-07, 03:41 AM by Oloty.)
Hey all,

I'm here to help fellow Elite's with learning programming, fixing bugs, and designing programs.
I will also write some tutorials and reference guides when I get the chance.

Portfolio: oloty.me
Languages: C#, Python, Java, PHP

I can provide support over Skype, but I would appreciate posting in the thread as well to encourage activity. ^_^

Edit: Please provide source code in [code] tags so I can help you. Thank you.

Regards,
Oloty
Latest Thanks - View all

letmoneywork4u(2014-12-05 09:56 PM) 
2014-01-05, 10:56 PM,
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-05, 10:57 PM by GOB.)
I will go first. What's the proper way of doing multithreading in .net (C#), in order to update the GUI from within the thread with no issues?
2014-01-05, 11:21 PM,
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You would do it just like any other multi-threaded process, but maybe I can help you more if I know what you're trying for.

Dynamically updating a progress bar?
2014-01-06, 12:03 AM,
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-06, 12:17 AM by GOB.)
(2014-01-05, 11:21 PM)Oloty Wrote: What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You would do it just like any other multi-threaded process, but maybe I can help you more if I know what you're trying for.

For example, I want to modify a listview from a thread. If I do that without this line of code CheckForIllegalCrossThreadCalls = False (vb.net), it will throw an exception.
2014-01-07, 03:40 AM,
(2014-01-06, 12:03 AM)DarkPixel Wrote:
(2014-01-05, 11:21 PM)Oloty Wrote: What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You would do it just like any other multi-threaded process, but maybe I can help you more if I know what you're trying for.

For example, I want to modify a listview from a thread. If I do that without this line of code CheckForIllegalCrossThreadCalls = False (vb.net), it will throw an exception.

Can you post the source code of where your using list veiw?
2014-01-07, 03:44 AM,
A big question for you mate : where to start in every language? I know English, so if you can post where you learned them, thanks!
2014-01-07, 03:57 AM,
(2014-01-07, 03:44 AM)klaatu97 Wrote: A big question for you mate : where to start in every language? I know English, so if you can post where you learned them, thanks!

I taught myself. Once you decide on what language you want to learn first, just practice and eventually you'll just get it. My first language was C#, then I took a Java class, and now I'm teaching myself Python.

Resources:
hxxp://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/275233-the-first-program-language-conundrum/
hxxp://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/78802-martyr2s-mega-project-ideas-list/

If you decide on a language, let me know and I can find you some resources on syntax, OOP principals, etc.
A word of advice, don't choose c++, VB, or PHP. C++ is too hard for a beginner and the other two are complete shit.
2014-01-07, 04:02 AM,
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-07, 04:06 AM by klaatu97.)
(2014-01-07, 03:57 AM)Oloty Wrote:
(2014-01-07, 03:44 AM)klaatu97 Wrote: A big question for you mate : where to start in every language? I know English, so if you can post where you learned them, thanks!

I taught myself. Once you decide on what language you want to learn first, just practice and eventually you'll just get it. My first language was C#, then I took a Java class, and now I'm teaching myself Python.

Resources:
hxxp://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/275233-the-first-program-language-conundrum/
hxxp://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/78802-martyr2s-mega-project-ideas-list/

If you decide on a language, let me know and I can find you some resources on syntax, OOP principals, etc.
A word of advice, don't choose c++, VB, or PHP. C++ is too hard for a beginner and the other two are complete shit.
I already know some VB and a little of HTML. I really want to start with Java or C, if you can give me some resources ecc I will be really gratefull. Anyway thanks for the suggestions, you absolutely need rep+ for your thread.
2014-01-07, 04:04 AM,
I don't mean to intrude on your thread but i'd very much like to hear why you consider PHP & VB, "complete shit"?

VB is just as good as C# and is great for easy and fast creation of applications with GUIs
2014-01-07, 04:17 AM,
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-07, 04:18 AM by Oloty.)
(2014-01-07, 04:02 AM)klaatu97 Wrote: I already know some VB and a little of HTML. I really want to start with Java, if you can give me some resources ecc I will be really gratefull. Anyway thanks for the suggestions, you absolutely need rep+ for your thread.

Thanks for the rep, mate!(:
I would first learn the syntax, keyworks, and operators for Java.
While learning them and after you know them you can practice by trying to accomplish the project examples detailed in Martyr2's list, as well as writing psuedocode examples documented on Wikipedia for misc. algorithms.

You can also find many resources on my blog: oloty.me

Resources:
hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_syntax
hxxp://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/index.html
hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_sort#Implementation
hxxp://oloty.me/psuedo-code/psuedo-how-nature-is-composed-of-5s-solving-for-the-nth-digit-of-the-fibonacci-sequence/

(2014-01-07, 04:04 AM)Tolini Wrote: I don't mean to intrude on your thread but i'd very much like to hear why you consider PHP & VB, "complete shit"?

VB is just as good as C# and is great for easy and fast creation of applications with GUIs

I'm going to assume you use .Net with Visual Studio as an IDE.

The only operating system I use is Linux so I use C# and mono because I like my applications to be run on everything and not just Windows machines.
Aside from dependencies, VB has God awful syntax, although this is just my preference as a professional software developer.

On PHP, most people like it because it seems easy to use; and it is. But that's why it's shit. The lack of data typing and higher-level concepts makes it slow as hell, as well as difficult to use for more complex things.
Facebook uses PHP; Facebook does not use the same PHP as you. Facebook has their own version of PHP that they engineered to be more pragmatic and useful as a programming language.

Edit: forgot to say that GUI tools are for betas. Alphas code the GUI themselves. (Again, professional programmer preferences.)

Resources:
hxxps://www.udemy.com/blog/modern-language-wars/
hxxp://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u32/which-programs-are-fastest.php?
hxxp://www.unlimitednovelty.com/2012/06/ruby-is-faster-than-python-php-and-perl.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Needed CPAgrip php script takumi 4 797 2017-01-24, 04:47 AM
Last Post: takumi
  SOME DATA IS NOT BEING INSERTED TO MYSQL DATABASE WITH PHP QwertySon 2 1,138 2016-11-21, 02:52 PM
Last Post: QwertySon
  Java Course Needed Niki 0 725 2016-10-15, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Niki
  php + mysql , I need help t0ks1ck 4 1,037 2016-09-19, 01:55 AM
Last Post: styx
  need a php line help t0ks1ck 8 1,028 2016-09-08, 09:01 PM
Last Post: styx

About Us | Contact Us | CPA Elites | Advertise | Stats | Staff Team

© 2013-2017 CPA Elites Ltd
Enhanced by MyBB and WallBB
Return to top