Learning to program | HELP
2014-06-03, 04:59 PM,
Hello i was just wondering what i should start with in regard to programming. I am not a complete noob when it comes to programming, i have dabbed a bit here and there. I do more visual basic at school in Software design than anything else. What i want to know is if i should learn how to program in vb to a point where i can program off the top of my head or try something else.

What i want to be able to do is at the start make some little programs such as simple auto viewer for YouTube. And then go to something big such as a mass video downloader/uploader.

With that said i want to know if that is all possible in vb or should i learn a whole other language to do this, if so what language?

Thankyou any answers are helpfull

[Image: banner1.gif]
2014-06-05, 02:20 AM,
I am using C/C++ and Haxe for some cross-platform apps between desktop, browser and mobile. But I think you should keep with VS and learn C#, some scripting language like Python and of course PHP along with JavaScript, they are popular, pretty easy to learn and I think they suit your needs. I used to develop some flash based apps / games in AS3 which bring me some traffic, but now with Haxe I can do desktop, browser and mobile with just one language. With C/C++ you can do lots of funny stuffs which are blacker than all those f@ck, h@ck stuffs, they aren't that hard if you spend sometime into them, they will pay as long as you know what you are doing and what you want to do. Watch out for the cops though.
2014-06-05, 03:22 AM,
For automation tools I'd suggest sticking to .NET (VB/C#). You can do just about anything you need to do and it's very well documented across the web.

Each time you run into a problem just search it and you will definitely find the answer somewhere.

(2014-06-05, 02:20 AM)Else Wrote: I am using C/C++ and Haxe for some cross-platform apps between desktop, browser and mobile. But I think you should keep with VS and learn C#, some scripting language like Python and of course PHP along with JavaScript, they are popular, pretty easy to learn and I think they suit your needs. I used to develop some flash based apps / games in AS3 which bring me some traffic, but now with Haxe I can do desktop, browser and mobile with just one language. With C/C++ you can do lots of funny stuffs which are blacker than all those f@ck, h@ck stuffs, they aren't that hard if you spend sometime into them, they will pay as long as you know what you are doing and what you want to do. Watch out for the cops though.

I don't think the OP should be worried about learning C/C++ at the moment and even if he was there would be no reason to worry about cops? That being said you can do "funny stuff" with any programming language.

He's interested in making life easier by automating things which is what programming is all about and the .NET suite should suit him perfectly.
2014-06-05, 04:21 AM,
Depends on "What should get automated". For example Web-Stuff is really easy to automate with PHP and CURL. With .NET, too.

Someone new in development should start playing with C/C++ to get Windows Apps. Console apps: Okay - but anything else would get him rid of his motiviation. :-P
2014-06-05, 04:23 AM,
(2014-06-05, 04:21 AM)x00srch Wrote: Depends on "What should get automated". For example Web-Stuff is really easy to automate with PHP and CURL. With .NET, too.

Someone new in development should start playing with C/C++ to get Windows Apps. Console apps: Okay - but anything else would get him rid of his motiviation. :-P

Thanks, but i am not new i have a decent understanding of VB and some other languages i just wanted to know if i could do the projects i want in VB.NET
Thanks for the help

2014-06-05, 04:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 2014-06-05, 04:28 AM by X00.)
(2014-06-05, 04:23 AM)㋡Heseemslegit㋡ Wrote:
(2014-06-05, 04:21 AM)x00srch Wrote: Depends on "What should get automated". For example Web-Stuff is really easy to automate with PHP and CURL. With .NET, too.

Thanks, but i am not new i have a decent understanding of VB and some other languages i just wanted to know if i could do the projects i want in VB.NET
Thanks for the help

Auto Viewer and Mass Video Downloader.

Auto Viewer as extension:
~5 Minutes to develope.

Auto Viewer as PHP script:
~5 Minutes to develope.

Auto Viewer as .NET application:
Depends on what technique you're going to use.
WebBrowser Control: ~2 Minutes to develope.
HttpWebRequest: ~2 Minutes to develope.
HttpWebRequest (Threaded): ~5 Minutes to develope.
WebClient: ~2 Minutes to develope.
WebClient (Threaded): ~5 Minutes to develope.

Mass Video Downloader:
Could be between ~15 minutes and some days. :-)

Thats my experience.
2014-06-05, 04:41 AM,
(2014-06-05, 04:27 AM)x00srch Wrote:

Thanks for the help

~5 Minutes to develope.

~5 Minutes to develope.

Mass Video Downloader:

Thats my experience.

Is that how long it took you to make them projects. Do you think VB will handle these projects fine.

2014-06-05, 04:47 AM,
(2014-06-05, 04:41 AM)㋡Heseemslegit㋡ Wrote:

Thanks for the help

~5 Minutes to develope.

~5 Minutes to develope.

Mass Video Downloader:

Thats my experience.

Is that how long it took you to make them projects. Do you think VB will handle these projects fine.

Its how long it took me, ye. Guess you're fine with VB.NET. :-)
2014-06-05, 05:03 AM,
(2014-06-05, 03:22 AM)alwayseval Wrote: I don't think the OP should be worried about learning C/C++ at the moment and even if he was there would be no reason to worry about cops? That being said you can do "funny stuff" with any programming language.

He's interested in making life easier by automating things which is what programming is all about and the .NET suite should suit him perfectly.
I suggest him to keep with VB, C#, some scripting language for desktop platform, PHP and JavaScript. Didn't suggest C/C++ to him.

Yes, all languages can do "funny stuffs" because we don't want to say it clear what are those stuffs. But the low-level programming languages can do a lot more than the high-level and scripting ones. .NET isn't perfect for automation, especially on cross-platform, self-distributed and less resource intensive purpose. For example, one day you will want to write a bot that run on mobile devices, you won't be able to use .NET and because you were so dependence on the .NET libraries it will be hard and very confusing to switch to other languages. That is the reason in school people normally start with C/C++, it is easier to switch between languages later. But I don't know if he really want to be a programmer so I didn't suggest C/C++.

If you are going to cash in by doing "funny stuffs", you won't be able to do it with C# or any .NET, at least not easier as using C/C++. Imagine you build a botnet or an adware with C#, that won't do good.

Again, I'm suggesting him using .NET languages not C/C++, just saying so OP can consider on his needs.

Also haXe is a very promising language, haXe can be compiled into C++, Object-C, JavaScript, AS3, PHP and even more, then being compiled to native platforms from their native languages, which all there you need to write for desktop, browser, mobile, database. haXe is also easy to learn and simple enough to make one's life easier.
2014-06-06, 04:14 AM,

Thanks for the help

~5 Minutes to develope.

~5 Minutes to develope.

Mass Video Downloader:

Thats my experience.

In my honest opinion... Doesn't matter if it's an extension or vb.net application it will take almost equal amount of time to code if you're not very experienced in the language that you code/script in... But that's just my 5 cents :)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help learning HTLM/CSS Big Chief 29 4,779 2016-09-28, 03:09 PM
Last Post: BroketoBallin
  What do you think about my program? Haye 9 741 2014-06-26, 11:01 AM
Last Post: ★★★ BotMan ★★★
  Visuel Basic Program Themes Noxite 22 2,108 2014-02-14, 06:25 AM
Last Post: React1337
  How to program programme _Kevin 2 451 2014-02-13, 01:59 PM
Last Post: _Kevin
  Free /fake/ program! _Kevin 0 699 2014-01-28, 10:42 PM
Last Post: _Kevin