Just Back From Visiting my 106 Year Old Grandma in Her Final Moments (Probably)
2015-06-20, 01:06 AM,
[Image: qWSWgsZ.jpg]

It was probably one of the weirdest feelings I have ever experienced.

My Mum and Dad are on holiday in Spain. They very nearly held back, but the nursing home insisted they 'continue as normal'. Anyway, I was coming home from a hard days-a-shoppin' in a black cab. The kids were doing their usual -what I like to call- 'Kindergarten Choir' and I was doing the usual, thinking about it being Friday and looking forward to booze-a-plenty and a good smoke. It was then the phone rang. Seeing it was my mum (calling from Spain) my good wife passed me the phone.

"Effexion, the nursing home has just rang. Your grandma has requested her last rights (she is C of E), you need to go and see her."

As soon as I got back I rang the nursing home. "She is comfortable" came their mind-easing reply. "I am on my way. I don't know how long I will be, but I will be as fast as I can." was all I could say. After placing the phone back on its cradle I rushed out to the back garden. My son's BMX was there, and my one and only way to get there fast was presented to me.

Peddling like a man possessed, I covered the distance in around 40 minutes. With a face like a beetroot and a coked up feral cat in my chest cavity (well, that's what it felt like) I pressed the bell. The 'pumfff' of the auto-lock on the door told me I could enter.

I signed myself in and was greeted by the girl at reception who took me straight up to my grandma's room. She left me halfway down the corridor. I navigated my way to her room using the photos they had on each residents door. A nice touch, I thought. Each resident's photo portraying happy, lively characters and not the frail and tired people they had become. About 20 foot further down the immaculate yet homely corridor I saw my Grandma's face smiling at me. Next to the door, and talking to one of her carers was my Uncle.

He welcomed me in and we both took a seat at my dear Grandmother's bedside.

A long time had passed since I last met my Uncle D. Things weren't overly smooth with he and I before this moment. He welcomed me and made sure I was at ease. That was so nice too. I had a real chance to tell him I had come a long way since days of yore, and I was a much better person now. We were family. Coming together no matter what in times of crisis. I'll always be grateful for him being there.

My Grandma -having had all her other medicines stopped after her telling a staff member "I am ready"- was still on a heavy dose of Morphine. She looked so peaceful, so relaxed and so happy. And that, meant the absolute world to me. It was kind of strange as I still remember her giving me a total bollocking for using a lower case 'I' whilst doing one of her crosswords with her. She was always in charge Smile. I sat with her for a little while, stroking her hand through the covers (she was so frail I was afraid to touch her skin in case I hurt her). After a little while (maybe half an hour or so), I was ready. I told my Uncle D that I wanted to go home. He left the room whilst I said my goodbyes and then I did the same whilst he also said his -most probably- final farewells.

I didn't really know what to say at that moment I was alone with her. "I love you so much and I will be thinking about you always, grandma" was just about all I could manage. I have never been all that good at goodbyes at the best of times. Let alone ones as final as this. One more "I love you, Grandma" and a kiss on her forehead and I left the room.

I am back now, and have been for about an hour (2 after I wrote this). I am so happy that I went. I am so happy I said my 'goodbye'.

Here is a newspaper article about her. It's more to show you guys what a lovely old lady she was, but also I get the 'pics or it didn't happen' lol.

Cherish every loved one around you. Let them know you love them, before it's too late.

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/11629...___at_106/
Latest Thanks - View all

Dragoner(2015-06-30 02:06 AM) MjR(2015-06-20 01:41 AM) 
2015-06-20, 04:24 AM,
it`s hard to say good bye to our loved ones but that`s our destiny too.

farewell to your grandma...
2015-06-28, 07:50 PM,
(This post was last modified: 2015-06-28, 07:51 PM by DutchPride.)
Bumping is against the rules, But i found this thread so beautiful that it doesn't deserve to not get seen by others.
I will include this in this month's newsletter.
Thank you for sharing.

I agree it's hard to say good bye to your loved ones, but atleast you took your chance to say her goodbye.

Farewell to your grandma.

(my main language is not English so i apoligize if something reads odd)
Latest Thanks - View all

Effexion(2015-06-29 06:06 AM) 

Any questions related to CPA belong here.
Before posting, make sure you are in the correct section.

I am temporarily absent due to family circumstances.

2015-06-29, 06:05 AM,
(This post was last modified: 2015-06-29, 06:06 AM by Effexion.)
(2015-06-28, 07:50 PM)DutchPride Wrote: Bumping is against the rules, But i found this thread so beautiful that it doesn't deserve to not get seen by others.
Thank you for sharing.

I agree it's hard to say good bye to your loved ones, but atleast you took your chance to say her goodbye.

Thanks so much for the kind words, DutchPride. It means a lot when people enjoy my writing. Sadly, she passed away on Sunday. She must be so much happier now though Smile.

Thanks again.
2015-06-30, 01:39 AM,
You did a great job mate. Hats off to you.

I Kinda had tears in my eyes.. You reminded me of my grandma too.

Take care
2015-06-30, 01:45 AM,
(2015-06-29, 06:05 AM)Effexion Wrote:
(2015-06-28, 07:50 PM)DutchPride Wrote: Bumping is against the rules, But i found this thread so beautiful that it doesn't deserve to not get seen by others.
Thank you for sharing.

Thanks so much for the kind words, DutchPride. It means a lot when people enjoy my writing. Sadly, she passed away on Sunday. She must be so much happier now though Smile.

Thanks again.

My condolences with the loss of your grandma.. I'm sure she will be happy above!

Any questions related to CPA belong here.
Before posting, make sure you are in the correct section.

I am temporarily absent due to family circumstances.

2015-06-30, 02:09 AM,
Dude,106 YEARS(a lot of life experience).
That's awesome !

May she rest in peace.
I'm sorry for your loss.

''If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.'' - Bruce Lee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update - Not Going anymore this year! Going to join the army JohnWick 21 789 2017-08-31, 09:18 PM
Last Post: JohnWick
  Tonight is Champions League Final! DrKent 16 514 2017-06-06, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Prutine
  11-year-old claims classroom punishment violates Geneva Convention epalyou 9 292 2017-05-30, 11:28 PM
Last Post: KillQuen
  Lucky guy got his life back fionix 8 374 2017-05-27, 05:12 AM
Last Post: DrKent
  What things you want to bring back from the 90's specz34 11 402 2017-05-17, 08:46 PM
Last Post: mariad

About Us | Contact Us | CPA Elites | Advertise | Stats | Staff Team

© 2013-2017 CPA Elites Ltd
Enhanced by MyBB and WallBB
Return to top