[?] Host your Websites on a VPS
2015-04-18, 06:55 PM,
Hey guys,

I'm interested in the concept of using a VPS/Dedicated Server for hosting. I do have plenty of experience with VPS in general and when it comes to using them for your SEO tools (GSA SER, GScraper, ..), but have never used one to host my websites on it.
Now, I already did some research on what hardware I should look for, but that didn't get me very far, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

What I need it for ...

- lots (!!) of websites - I'm thinking long term here and I'll be hosting dozens and
dozens of websites on there
- big websites - some of them are directory type sites with over 50,000 pages on them
- no or maybe a few web shop/e-Commerce type sites

What I need to know ...

- What hardware setup should I look for (CPU cores, RAM, SSD/HDD, ...) ?
- Uplink speed: 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps?
- Bandwidth: Is there an amount of bandwidth you'd say is the minimum I should have?
- Are there any providers I should stay away from or definitely look into?

Or in summary: I'm not really sure how powerful my VPS' hardware and/or how fast its uplink connection needs to be and which providers rank among the best when it comes to uptime, stability and performance and therefore I'd love your input on this.
2015-04-18, 07:17 PM,
You cant do that with a gig of ram, thats for sure.. Have you thought about RDP's instead? They're cheap but a lot powerful than the usual VPS's.
2015-04-18, 07:35 PM,
I have a VPS with a cPanel license (WHM) i already hosted 4 of my websites and i have a unlimited amount of accounts i can create and host onto that server means unlimited websites, my VPS's specs are:
4GB Ram
10 TB Bandwidth (Monthly) - I chose that because i don't wanna overload my traffic to the server, im already consuming 1TB per month tho'
150 GB HDD
they charge me $30.50 monthly for this
Also the cPanel license costs $78.00 (For 6 months)
The Sites are running fast and the VPS is just perfect for my CPA Websites and big traffic
If you want i can PM you the provider.

If You Think That Any Of The Staff Team Is Using Their Privileges In A Wrong Manner
You Can Always Contact The Admin → HawkEye
2015-04-18, 10:32 PM,
(2015-04-18, 07:17 PM)ɢᴏʀᴀɴ Wrote: You cant do that with a gig of ram, thats for sure.. Have you thought about RDP's instead? They're cheap but a lot powerful than the usual VPS's.

To be honest, I don't know what an RDP is. Would you mind elaborating, please?

(2015-04-18, 07:35 PM)LBDecoy Wrote: I have a VPS with a cPanel license (WHM) i already hosted 4 of my websites and i have a unlimited amount of accounts i can create and host onto that server means unlimited websites, my VPS's specs are:
4GB Ram
10 TB Bandwidth (Monthly) - I chose that because i don't wanna overload my traffic to the server, im already consuming 1TB per month tho'
150 GB HDD
they charge me $30.50 monthly for this
Also the cPanel license costs $78.00 (For 6 months)
The Sites are running fast and the VPS is just perfect for my CPA Websites and big traffic
If you want i can PM you the provider.

1. What would you say is a potential bottle neck in your setup, assuming you'll grow your websites and the amount of websites in total? Probably the bandwidth limit and not so much RAM or your CPU power, right?

2. Is cPanel really neccessarry? Why not use a free panel like zPanel?

3. How exactly do you define "big traffic"? My sites are quite big, but the website traffic itself probably not that much.
2015-04-19, 01:26 PM,
First of all, you will need a Linux VPS here to host cPanel/WHM (it makes life so much easier).

Running websites on VPS may sound a bit complex if you are new, but don't worry, it is not as bad or as hard as you would have thought. And cPanel/WHM makes this a smoother experience.

Speaking of hardware, a 2 or 3 GB RAM, 100 GB space/disk, and a quad (or dual) core processor should do the job. You can always expand if you feel the system isn't able to balance the load well.

Speaking of bandwidth, most VPS providers at least gives 500 GB or 1 TB to say so, at least. That should be more than enough.

Quote:How exactly do you define "big traffic"? My sites are quite big, but the website traffic itself probably not that much.
The load on the website increases more from the traffic rather than the number of files you have hosted. You can host 100K files and it would be fine but if 1,000 simultaneous visitors visits your site, it might not be able to keep itself up well.

Trust me, don't worry about all these bigger details when starting out. Focus on the smaller picture. You'll recognize the need to expand when you experience growth.

Hope this helps. :)
2015-04-19, 01:58 PM,
I've Linux VPS in Hostwinds for my website and it is all ok, speed is awesome
2015-04-19, 03:42 PM,
(2015-04-19, 01:26 PM)Pratik. Wrote: First of all, you will need a Linux VPS here to host cPanel/WHM (it makes life so much easier).

Running websites on VPS may sound a bit complex if you are new, but don't worry, it is not as bad or as hard as you would have thought. And cPanel/WHM makes this a smoother experience.

Speaking of hardware, a 2 or 3 GB RAM, 100 GB space/disk, and a quad (or dual) core processor should do the job. You can always expand if you feel the system isn't able to balance the load well.

Speaking of bandwidth, most VPS providers at least gives 500 GB or 1 TB to say so, at least. That should be more than enough.

Quote:How exactly do you define "big traffic"? My sites are quite big, but the website traffic itself probably not that much.
The load on the website increases more from the traffic rather than the number of files you have hosted. You can host 100K files and it would be fine but if 1,000 simultaneous visitors visits your site, it might not be able to keep itself up well.

Trust me, don't worry about all these bigger details when starting out. Focus on the smaller picture. You'll recognize the need to expand when you experience growth.

Thanks for your help.

Actually no, hosting on a VPS doesn't sound that complex to me, since I already hosted a couple of 'websites' on a virtual and/or local machine for several projects (IT university).
The main problem was rather about the hardware and what setup I should consider.

Alright, so my budget is definitely not that tight, but I'd rather only spend as much as neccessary. So if Quad Core is 'great', but dual Core is just fine, as well, then I'd rather go for dual core.

Also, which part of my hardware setup is the most likely to become a bottle neck? I have actually no idea whether the CPU/RAM/.. or anything else carries the most weight when hosting a website or whether it's an even pressure on the hardware setup.

And lastly - Uplink speed? Is 100Mbps enough or is more (i.e. 1Gbps) absolutely neccessary?
2015-04-19, 08:10 PM,
Quote:Actually no, hosting on a VPS doesn't sound that complex to me, since I already hosted a couple of 'websites' on a virtual and/or local machine for several projects (IT university).
The main problem was rather about the hardware and what setup I should consider.
Ah, great.

(2015-04-19, 03:42 PM)tixpf Wrote:
(2015-04-19, 01:26 PM)Pratik. Wrote: First of all, you will need a Linux VPS here to host cPanel/WHM (it makes life so much easier).

Thanks for your help.

Actually no, hosting on a VPS doesn't sound that complex to me, since I already hosted a couple of 'websites' on a virtual and/or local machine for several projects (IT university).

Alright, so my budget is definitely not that tight, but I'd rather only spend as much as neccessary. So if Quad Core is 'great', but dual Core is just fine, as well, then I'd rather go for dual core.

Also, which part of my hardware setup is the most likely to become a bottle neck? I have actually no idea whether the CPU/RAM/.. or anything else carries the most weight when hosting a website or whether it's an even pressure on the hardware setup.

And lastly - Uplink speed? Is 100Mbps enough or is more (i.e. 1Gbps) absolutely neccessary?
CPU and RAM with the mentioned specs will be just fine. When starting out, it is always good to prioritize necessity and get most out of your spend.

You will experience like I said if something is coming off as a bottleneck. Servers are smart to indicate it. Any usual memory limit errors, SQL maxed out errors, problems with load balancing are the usual indicators that you require more hardware.

As for the uplink speed, 100 Mbps is just fine. I even had a dedicated server which did just fine with the 100 Mbps uplink.

Hope this helps.
2015-04-19, 10:37 PM,
Great info, thanks!

I've got follow up questions though, if you don't mind:

Are these specs you just mentioned (2-4GB RAM, dual/quad core CPU, ..) set in stone and absolutely neccessary?

I'm just wondering, because I used to have a couple of VPS a while back when GSA SER, GScraper & friends were still a thing and I had all of these tools running at the same time on a VPS with the specs you just described to me.

Are there any VPS providers you'd recommend (quality and availability wise)?
I had my fair share of experience with a few different VPS providers and 4GB RAM / quad core CPU sometimes equaled 1GB RAM / 1 core CPU of a high quality provider. This question is also directly related to the above, since this obviously has an effect on the hardware specs I'll need, I think.

Thanks
2015-04-21, 08:13 PM,
(2015-04-19, 10:37 PM)tixpf Wrote: Great info, thanks!

I've got follow up questions though, if you don't mind:

Are these specs you just mentioned (2-4GB RAM, dual/quad core CPU, ..) set in stone and absolutely neccessary?

I'm just wondering, because I used to have a couple of VPS a while back when GSA SER, GScraper & friends were still a thing and I had all of these tools running at the same time on a VPS with the specs you just described to me.

Are there any VPS providers you'd recommend (quality and availability wise)?
I had my fair share of experience with a few different VPS providers and 4GB RAM / quad core CPU sometimes equaled 1GB RAM / 1 core CPU of a high quality provider. This question is also directly related to the above, since this obviously has an effect on the hardware specs I'll need, I think.

Thanks
Hey, not a problem. Will be happy to answer.

Now, these specs what I mentioned were based of on what you told. I think you can do away with minimizing a bit, like getting a dual core instead of quad core. As for the RAM, I would definitely mention to get at least 2 GB of it. You need that as a bare minimum or you won't be really in love lol, speaking from my experience. Especially when the system has to run various type of scripts and not to mention cPanel/WHM, which takes quite a bit of memory, too.

A windows VPS is completely different than a server (especially linux) when it needs to act as a web server. It needs to process a lot of stuff at any given time. In Windows VPS, everything is well balanced by the windows OS itself, the system just needs to focus on running or executing the programs smoothly. Whereas when system needs to act as a web server, it has to wear many hats. So comparing both is a completely different thing.

About VPS providers, yes. I have had some great experiences with Netrouting and ASmallOrange. Great providers, great uptime and great support.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where can i buy cheap VPS with GPU? jrmateja 8 330 2017-12-13, 03:49 AM
Last Post: juantamad
  HELP A NEWBIE. WINDOW AZURE VPS topgallant01 1 133 2017-11-27, 09:32 PM
Last Post: CPATracker
  Followliker and VPS Performance WooRanker 3 136 2017-10-24, 11:47 PM
Last Post: LB'Decoy
  List Of Most Popular Websites + SEO Bonus Watt 27 1,010 2017-10-01, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Watt
  cant sign up at jeuxvideo-Sorry, this host was banned due to misuse. dipak777 7 250 2017-09-13, 12:37 AM
Last Post: DanaCr

About Us | Contact Us | CPA Elites | Advertise | Stats | Staff Team

© 2013-2017 CPA Elites Ltd
Enhanced by MyBB and WallBB
Return to top