Everything You Need to Know About Content Marketing in 2016 -- Content is King!
2016-04-08, 04:02 AM,
Many have heard the saying that "content is king." However, most internet marketers either don't fully understand what this phrase means, or they do understand it but don't actually treat their content as "king." In fact, I'd say that most internet marketers treat SEO and other forms of traffic (e.g. social media, paid advertising, etc) as "king".

I'm going back to the bare basics in this post. If you're a new internet marketer, then you'll learn everything you need to know to get started with content marketing. If you're experienced, then stick around because you might learn something as well.

What is Online Content?

Online content is any "body of text" that you can find online. The most common forms are articles, blog posts, forum posts, online documents, e-books, and social media posts. Online content can also include other (non-textual) formats such as images (e.g. infographics), podcasts, and videos.

What is Content Marketing?

As far as we internet marketers are concerned, content marketing is simply the process of creating and sharing online content.

Why Should I Care about Online Content and Content Marketing?

Asking why you should care about your website's content (and the marketing of it) is like asking, "why should I care about my customers and marketing to them?" Apparently, you must not be in the business of making money. However, if you are, then you should care because content is designed to get your users to do "something" (like signing up for your newsletter, clicking your affiliate links, buying something from you, etc) – and the success of your business depends on your users.

I Still Don't Care Because I have My SEO, Link-Building, and Social Media. I also Rank #1 in Google. That's All I Need, Right?

No, just ask the people that rank #1 in the search engines yet they can't get their users to do anything because their content sucks (pardon my language). Look, it's great to rank #1 in the search engines – and to have a lot of traffic from other sources such as social media – but you need to realize that things like SEO, link-building (which is apart of SEO), social media, and paid advertising are all just different ways to get traffic to your website. Guess what needs to happen after a person gets to your website from one of these traffic sources? You guessed it – your content will need to be good enough (or optimized) to get them to do whatever action that was intended for them to do.

I Need Examples of Content Being More Important than SEO!

Sure. Let's take an example of a person that owns an online store that only sells shoes. In order for the business to survive, the owner (obviously) relies on users to convert into customers by buying shoes. Now imagine that the owner's store ranks #1 in all of the search engines for the keyword phrase "buy shoes". What would happen if the store's content on each individual shoe page didn't contain important information like available shoe sizes, the targeted gender for the shoe, sizing charts/instructions, and their return policy (imagine if a customer orders the wrong size)? That store probably wouldn't sell one single pair of shoes.

For those that focus on free, informational websites, I have a different example. The most common actions users need to take for these types of websites to survive is to sign up for a newsletter, click on Google Adsense ads, and click affiliate links and then sign up or buy something after that. Let's imagine that a person owns a health-related website that talks about all types of illnesses and diseases. The target market is just regular people (not doctors) who want to read about illnesses they know they have and how to treat them. Ok, now imagine that they rank #1 for every type of health keyword like "stomach ache" and "diarrhea." Next, imagine a person clicks their website's link (ranked #1) after searching for "stomach ache." This person arrives to a web page that talks about what a stomach ache is and common symptoms that people experience when they have one. However, the web page's content doesn't talk about any kind of treatments for stomach aches. None whatsoever. Now do you think this person will sign up for the website owner's newsletter? Nope, probably not. In fact, they'll probably click the "back" button, click on website #2's link, and then sign up for their newsletter instead.

Ok, Ok. So Content Really is "King." But SEO and Link-Building are Still Important, Right?

Of course, SEO and link-building will always be important. However, search engines have been devaluing backlinks and placing more importance on quality content for awhile now. For example, it is entirely possible nowadays to see a website with high-quality content – but a low amount of backlinks – rank higher than a website with a lot of backlinks that has only low-quality content. In the past, it was rare to see this. But times are changing.

What's the Difference Between On-Site Content and Off-Site Content?

We already learned that online content can take on many forms: articles, blog posts, forum posts, podcasts, videos, etc. However, online content can be classified even higher than that: on-site and off-site content. On-site content is any type of content that appears on your own (or main) website, whereas off-site content is any type of content that appears on other (or your non-main) websites.

Why is it Important to Understand the Difference Between On-Site and Off-Site Content?

It's important to understand the differences because on-site and off-site content have two very different goals. For example, the goals of on-site content are primarily to:
  • Provide high-quality information to your users
  • Get those same users to do something
  • And, of course, to let the search engines know that your website has high-quality information on it.

On the other hand, the goals of off-site content are primarily to:
  • Get users to visit your main website
  • Increase brand awareness
  • And, of course, to build backlinks

Because on-site and off-site content have two different goals, they require two different strategies.
For example, your blood, sweat, and tears should be given for your on-site content. In other words, high-quality content only. On the other hand, off-site content can contain low, medium, and high-quality content.

Shouldn't Off-Site Content Be "High-Quality Only" Just Like On-Site Content?

If you want to waste your time then, sure, go ahead. However, realistically, trying to make all of your off-site content as high-quality as you would your on-site content can quickly lead to "writer burnout", and your off-site content could potentially rank higher in the search engines than your on-site content. Both of these have happened to me and many others before. To understand which off-site content should (or can) contain high, medium, and low-quality content, you have to first understand a common SEO strategy – called a "tiered" backlink SEO strategy. More on that below.

What is a Tiered Backlink SEO Strategy?

This type of strategy is designed to increase your website's SEO "score" (or importance) by strengthening the backlinks that directly link to it. Looking at the diagram below we can see that the tiered backlink strategy used consists of three tier levels (although, in reality, you can have as many as you want). Your main website (often called the "money" website) is linked to by tier 1 websites. Next, tier 2 websites link to those tier 1 websites. And, finally, the tier 3 websites link to the tier 2 websites. Again, the goal of this backlink strategy is to increase your websites importance to the search engines by strengthening the backlinks that link to it. One thing to keep in mind is that, although you don't have to use any content to implement this strategy, it is recommended that you do. In regards to SEO, backlinks surrounded by relevant information (called contextual links) are given more importance than regular links with no relevant text surrounding them.
[Image: imHbTvS.png]

Cool Strategy, but How do I Know When to Use Low, Medium, and High-Quality Content for My Off-Site Content?

Before we talk about the off-site content, remember that your on-site content (content that appears on your main website) should always contain high-quality content. Alright, moving back to off-site content:
  • Tier 1 – I recommend high-quality content because the goal here is to get users that read tier 1 content to actually visit your website. No, it does not need to contain your blood, sweat, and tears like your on-site content. Additionally, you can even get away with medium-quality content here. Just remember that tier 1 content should be "good enough" so that it leaves readers so thirsty that they click on your website for more (and better) content.

• Tier 2 – use medium-quality content because this tier level mostly exists to strengthen the tier 1 links. The reason I didn't say low-quality here is because you may have some (though not many) visitors get to your website from here (by first clicking the link to the tier 1 content and then to your website).

• Tier 3 (and beyond) – use low-quality content because tier 3 (and beyond) content exists only to strengthen the tier 2 and tier 1 links. It is rare that you'll get any visitors that get to your website from tier 3 (and beyond) content. Therefore, with tier 3 (and beyond) levels, it really is ok to slap something (relevant) together for the search engines because the content here was never meant for humans to begin with.

Solutions to Creating Online Content

There are multiple ways in which you can create online content:
  • Write it all yourself
  • Write it yourself with the help of software
  • Automate all of it with software
  • Hire other people to write it
  • Get people to write it for free

Writing Everything Yourself

This is the old-fashioned, but proven, route. If you don't like to write, then this method could take you awhile. However, you will have complete control over your content, and it will contain all of your originality. This method is good for content that goes on your main website.

Writing Everything Yourself with Help from Software

This is my favorite method when writing content for my own website because I consider it a "hybrid" approach between writing everything yourself (manually, with no software help) and automating everything with software. I use Extreme Content Creator for this (a software that I created to help internet marketers and copywriters to create and automate online content). Extreme Content Creator comes with a feature called the "Article Helper" that helps you create a new article from scratch (it can also help you finish an already existing article). The advantages this has over doing everything yourself is that the software can help you write an article (or any type of textual content) without having to come up with the title and all of the paragraphs from scratch. The advantages it has over automating everything with software is that you are still in full control over your content, and the content still gets all of your originality.

Automating Everything with Software

This method works best for tiered content (sometimes including tier 1, but usually tier 2 and beyond). I use some of Extreme Content Creator's other features for this purpose. The reason, as mentioned before, is because tier 2 (and beyond) content doesn't need as much "human" attention as your on-site and tier 1 content.

Hiring Other People

This is a good option if you don't want to write your own content, or if you just don't have the time to. Although it's definitely the most expensive method (financially speaking), it can save you a lot of time. One thing to keep in mind is that, unless you have a dedicated copywriter, the time savings you get from this method will cost you on your content's originality. For example, if you hire a copywriter (that was outsourced) to write you articles on "health and fitness," then rest assured that they are writing "health and fitness" articles for plenty of other people, too. Despite that, this is still a good option if you don't like writing your own content, or if just don't have the time to.

Getting Other People to Write for Free

This method involves people writing content for your website with the expectation that they can leave a link to their own website (e.g. guest blogging). This is a good way to get content also, but remind them that, even though it's a tier 1 link for them, it needs to be of the highest quality since it's going to be content that appears on your own website.

Where to Actually Submit or Market all of this Content?

As we already know, on-site content goes directly on your own website and, on the other hand, off-site content goes on other websites. Article directories, public blogging websites, private blog networks, social media websites, and websites that allow guest blogging are great sources for textual, off-site content. For formats like documents, podcasts, and videos, then document-sharing websites, podcast directories, and video-sharing websites are great sources to submit these.

After reading this post, you should now know everything you need to get up and running with content marketing. You learned why content is "king." You learned that content is far more important than any traffic source (such as SEO, social media, and paid advertising) because traffic sources only get people to your website – it's your job to optimize content so that users take an intended action after they land on your website. You also learned that on-site content should always be high-quality. You even learned when to use low, medium, and high-quality content for your off-site content. Last, but definitely not least, you learned the different ways to create (and automate) online content, and the type of websites to submit content to. Now pat yourself on the back, because you now have an advantage over people that do not truly understand the meaning of "content is king."

Have questions? Feel free to ask!
Latest Thanks - View all

germizxionv53(2016-08-06 06:40 PM) cancerian(2016-04-20 03:22 PM) weblycos(2016-04-17 01:26 AM) sandrobossi(2016-04-11 04:27 PM) honeydew(2016-04-08 11:28 PM) yassinegtx(2016-04-08 04:54 PM) 
2016-04-08, 11:20 PM,
(This post was last modified: 2016-04-09, 07:51 PM by nexus.)
thank you for sharing this detailed tutorial :)
2016-04-09, 12:02 AM,
Great job thank u very much nice topic really
2016-04-11, 01:11 AM,
(2016-04-08, 11:20 PM)nexus Wrote: thank you for sharing this detailed tutorial :)

(2016-04-09, 12:02 AM)momob Wrote: Great job thank u very much nice topic really

No problem!
I feel like content marketing is a very underrated topic, yet it is probably one of the most important topics in internet marketing.
2016-04-16, 10:22 PM,
i see so many 1 page sites with no content rank higher then 100 page sites with hq content why because of the BACKLINKS

Ok, Ok. So Content Really is "King." But SEO and Link-Building are Still Important, Right?

Of course, SEO and link-building will always be important. However, search engines have been devaluing backlinks and placing more importance on quality content for awhile now. For example, it is entirely possible nowadays to see a website with high-quality content – but a low amount of backlinks – rank higher than a website with a lot of backlinks that has only low-quality content. In the past, it was rare to see this. But times are changing.
2016-04-16, 11:25 PM,
I think that the best Whitehat Strategy is the internal linkbuilding + Content =).
2016-04-16, 11:37 PM,
Didnt read the whole thread but bh or wh, autogenerated content or manualy written unique , google still gonna slap ur ass witha pure spam manual action if they want to
2016-04-17, 12:07 AM,
Nice post! Thanks for all of your explanations :-)
2016-04-17, 01:27 AM,
Very organised article but just wondering how long those gonna work as google are getting ridiculously pushy towards adwords those days.
2016-04-18, 12:15 AM,
(This post was last modified: 2016-04-18, 12:18 AM by HFlame7.)
(2016-04-16, 10:22 PM)cpadoom Wrote: i see so many 1 page sites with no content rank higher then 100 page sites with hq content why because of the BACKLINKS

I have also seen some sites with little content rank higher than those with better content -- but this is rare and getting more and more less common in my experience.
SEO is important, but at the end of the day it's just another "traffic source" like PPC, social media, and email marketing.
Content is king because it's responsible for actually making that traffic you get "meaningful" (i.e., converting your traffic).

(2016-04-16, 11:37 PM)pepeneo Wrote: Didnt read the whole thread but bh or wh, autogenerated content or manualy written unique , google still gonna slap ur ass witha pure spam manual action if they want to

You should use auto-generated content for your tier links -- then any Google slapping will not directly affect your money site Wink

(2016-04-17, 01:27 AM)weblycos Wrote: Very organised article but just wondering how long those gonna work as google are getting ridiculously pushy towards adwords those days.

Content marketing will never (and I do mean never) be replaced by Adwords. Adwords is pay-per-click marketing -- which means it's just another "source of traffic" just like SEO, social media, and email marketing. Content is what actually "converts" your traffic into something meaningful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPA Marketing: The Ultimate Guide (Brought To You By Backlinko) LB'Decoy 13 636 2017-10-15, 11:03 AM
Last Post: mentorcell
  [SHARE] Top Internet Marketing Tools PRINC3 11 683 2017-10-14, 09:14 PM
Last Post: PRINC3
  [UNSEEN METHOD] Make $2000 a Month on AUTOPILOT with Viral Content and Ads Ryan2kc 65 7,588 2017-10-03, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Med Fd
  OGads Content Locker & How To Increase Your Conversions! WealthyHustler 4 396 2017-10-02, 05:18 PM
Last Post: leslijs
  [GOLDMINE] Affiliate Marketing Masters – Value $747 TheDutchLegend 16 508 2017-09-12, 12:17 PM
Last Post: TheDutchLegend

About Us | Contact Us | CPA Elites | Advertise | Stats | Staff Team

© 2013-2017 CPA Elites Ltd
Enhanced by MyBB and WallBB
Return to top