Domain Hosting - NameCheap - Notice/Warning
2018-02-28, 09:27 PM,
Hi guys, just a quick heads up. If you have any old domains your holding onto that do not have hosting just have a double check and make sure they are pointing to the right places...

I have a domain that I have had running for around 4 years. I took it down last year and removed hosting while i did other things. Now the domain was just a domain that wasn't pointing to anything i just paid for it and left the thing. I checked my url today and found out it was pointing to someone elses site. I double checked to find out the domain is still mine, but there was no way of me seeing any redirects for this domain on my account. So i got in touch with the help desk and they said we can see the redirect and that was it they didn't do anything for me told me to get in touch through a ticket... isn't that what the help desk is?!?!

So i have changed the settings back to basic dns and setup a redirect to one of my domains. Now to wait 48hrs to see if it fixes it.

Now the rep wouldn't tell me why this has happened or how, so it leads me to speculate is someone on the "dodge" trying to sell domains on the side. Since i didn't login for 6 months or so maybe they thought I might have forgotten about it?

Just giving you guys a heads up just in case. The company has been great for me and I have never had any issues apart from this which seems like an inside job, not a security breech... Not giving them a bad rep they have great service just a heads up.

The quieter you become, the more you can hear
Share This Thread :

2018-03-01, 08:44 PM,
This is weird, did you asked the customer care service about it?
2018-03-04, 06:58 PM,
(2018-03-01, 08:44 PM)hallow8 Wrote: This is weird, did you asked the customer care service about it?

Yup they said we could see the domain redirect but couldn't change it and wanted more information from me to find out if i was the real owner.... they asked me to raise a ticket with a different department. No reason as to how or why it happened. Just lead me to believe that an employee was selling on links.... anyways I changed to basic dns so i could do a custom url redirect and now it's fine. Ill just buy some cheap hosting and get the site live again. So for "X" ammount of months someone has had a free domain redirect, bloody leeches!

Load of nonsense really.

The quieter you become, the more you can hear
2018-03-05, 11:28 PM,
(2018-03-04, 06:58 PM)dami3n Wrote:
(2018-03-01, 08:44 PM)hallow8 Wrote: This is weird, did you asked the customer care service about it?

Yup they said we could see the domain redirect but couldn't change it and wanted more information from me to find out if i was the real owner.... they asked me to raise a ticket with a different department. No reason as to how or why it happened. Just lead me to believe that an employee was selling on links.... anyways I changed to basic dns so i could do a custom url redirect and now it's fine. Ill just buy some cheap hosting and get the site live again. So for "X" ammount of months someone has had a free domain redirect, bloody leeches!

Load of nonsense really.

They might ask for the payment information that you have used to buy the domain, simply give it to them and they might help you back, or some identity proof might work.