Closed.
2015-05-13, 06:25 AM,
(This post was last modified: 2015-05-21, 06:01 PM by SiZiF.)
Hi guys,

I have a website with word "WhatsApp" inside domain name for couple of months and today I just got email from official WhatsApp company. Their email domain points to their official site actually.
But I'm still not sure if this email is faked or not. (Like if someone of my competitors tries to make me delete my site, take me down or sth like that..)
BTW email went to my Junk folder. This even more tells me it perhaps is faked.

Anyway here is the whole email content I received:
Quote:Unauthorized Use of the trademark WhatsApp [Case #XXXXXXX]‏

To Whom It May Concern:

It has come to our attention that you have registered XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com (the "Domain Name"). You are currently operating a website (the "Website") at that location and, as of the date of this letter, you are using the famous and distinctive WhatsApp trademark in connection with the domain name and website without WhatsApp Inc.'s authorization.

WhatsApp, Inc. is the owner of numerous federal trademark registrations for our WhatsApp mark (the "Mark"), including, US Registration No. 4083272, registered on Jan. 10, 2012 and US Registration No. 3939463, registered on April 05,2011 The WhatsApp mark is well known among the consuming public and embodies substantial and valuable goodwill. As such, the Mark is a valuable asset, and its protection is very important to WhatsApp, Inc.

Your unauthorized use of the Mark constitutes trademark infringement and dilution in violation of federal and state trademark laws, and is likely to cause confusion, mistake and deception as to the potential existence of an affiliation, connection or association between you and WhatsApp, Inc.

Your actions with respect to the Domain Name violate the ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (the "Policy") to which the Domain Name is subject since you have no trademark rights or interest in the Mark and are using the Mark for commercial gain. In addition, your actions with respect to the Domain Name also violate the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (15 U.S.C. §1125(d)) a federal statute which provides a cause of action with respect to those who, with a bad faith intent to profit, register, traffic in or use domain names that are identical or confusingly similar to the trademarks of others.

WhatsApp, Inc. demands that you cease and desist from any and all use of the Domain Name; you are directed to immediately cease and desist from using the WhatsApp trademark or any misspellings of the trademark as your domain name. You are further directed to drop or delete XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com.

Please confirm in writing that you will agree to resolve this matter as requested within ten business days of the date of this e-mail. If we do not receive confirmation from you that you will comply with our request, we will take the necessary legal steps to protect our rights.

Sincerely,

Legal Department
WhatsApp, Inc

So I need your opinion what to do? Do you had similar experiences with big companies like WhatsApp before? I had same situation before with Facebook 2 years ago and just ignored their emails and nothing happened. I still have those websites alive.

I'm thinking about registering another domain name which doesn't have the word "whatsapp" inside name and redirect my existing one to it. Do you think that will work?

I have 10 days to respond to them until today. Or maybe just ignore them?

I would prefer only serious replies, advices and opinions.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
SiZiF
2015-05-13, 06:47 AM,
Where do you live, how do you monetize the site? I would redirect all traffic to a website without whatsup in it.
2015-05-13, 06:51 AM,
(2015-05-13, 06:47 AM)Heraclitus Wrote: Where do you live, how do you monetize the site? I would redirect all traffic to a website without whatsup in it.

In Croatia (EU), I use CPA. Yeah I also think that's most promising move I can do in this situation..

Regards,
SiZiF
2015-05-13, 08:36 AM,
(2015-05-13, 06:25 AM)SiZiF Wrote: Hi guys,

I have a website with word "WhatsApp" inside domain name for couple of months and today I just got email from official WhatsApp company. Their email domain points to their official site actually.
But I'm still not sure if this email is faked or not. (Like if someone of my competitors tries to make me delete my site, take me down or sth like that..)
BTW email went to my Junk folder. This even more tells me it perhaps is faked.

If you think this is fake, then i would suggest you wait for the takedown notice from your hosting provider.

Because if this is legit, and you wouldn't take your site down, they will pressure the hosting provider to take it down for them.

This is based on my experience. Cool
Latest Thanks - View all

SiZiF(2015-05-13 04:55 PM) 
2015-05-13, 09:05 AM,
(This post was last modified: 2015-05-13, 09:06 AM by Captain Obvious.)
This is the reason why I dont do blackhats anymore someday they might file a lawsuit due to copyright infrigement..
I got the same email like this from zynga.

Edit: I got an email from my hosting server and it is a complete legit letter from zynga
Latest Thanks - View all

SiZiF(2015-05-13 04:55 PM) 

[Image: 4f3uTb7.gif]
Don't stare too much.
2015-05-13, 09:17 AM,
i got one from fb.. and i deleted the content fast.

[Image: banner300x250.png]
2015-05-13, 11:57 AM,
Ignore the Mail ... Don't reply them... They can't do anything ...

If you replied to that mail then redirect all your traffic Without whatsapp in it..
Latest Thanks - View all

SiZiF(2015-05-13 04:56 PM) 
2015-05-13, 12:15 PM,
Where is the lawyer Name? Where is the address? Where is phone number? LOL is damn fake
Latest Thanks - View all

2015-05-13, 12:41 PM,
Well, i suggest that you do research the email you received, and check if the email address is from Whatsapp the company or someone using spoofing attack (Forgery of an e-mail header so that the message appears to have originated from someone or somewhere other than the actual source.).
Latest Thanks - View all

2015-05-13, 12:58 PM,
I would contact the hosting and just ask if they had any DMCA request take downs, because if that's the case they would of forced them to prpvide accurate proof that they are who they say they are.
Latest Thanks - View all

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Closed Q757 1 145 2017-03-25, 02:44 AM
Last Post: HawkEye
  Closed due to not following rule #20 imrichierich 1 325 2016-12-29, 02:57 PM
Last Post: HawkEye
  Paypal is closed in Turkey :O finnishhacker 6 999 2016-07-26, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Diskretni
  Closed. Qoins 4 771 2016-06-19, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Qoins