Bush-Era Advocates Of Splitting Iraq Into Three Parts Say: I Told You So
2014-06-19, 09:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 2014-06-19, 09:49 PM by DutchPride.)
[Image: enhanced-buzz-21184-1403031518-12.jpg]

Code:
WASHINGTON — During the Iraq war, a plan to split the country into three regions that was advocated by thinkers like Les Gelb and then-Senator Joe Biden could never compete with the prevailing nation-building strategy of the time. But now, as the country descends into chaos with the advance of ISIS, Gelb says he is “overwhelmed” by calls from people saying he was right.
People are calling him and saying, “My God, what you were saying back then made sense,” Gelb, president emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations, said Tuesday.
Those who argued that Iraq should either be allowed to split into three separate countries — one for Shiites, one for Sunnis, and one for Kurds — or morphed into a decentralized federal system weren’t taken seriously by most of the foreign policy decision-makers of the day and certainly not by the Bush administration, which pushed a nation-building program on Iraq inspired by the neoconservative thinkers who were greatly influential at the time. It was a small group, with Biden as its most high profile voice. Now, a decade later, with ISIS advancing, a potential sectarian war brewing and an independent Kurdish state a de facto reality, those who argued that Iraq was an unnatural construct in the first place and should be allowed to follow impulses toward separation are feeling vindicated.

READ MORE

Any questions related to CPA belong here.
Before posting, make sure you are in the correct section.

I am temporarily absent due to family circumstances.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microsoft Reveals - The era of holographic computing is here HawkEye 20 1,477 2015-02-25, 03:10 PM
Last Post: regzastyle
  I told you not to play with spiders DutchPride 1 349 2014-08-11, 03:29 AM
Last Post: ℛᴏʏᴀʟ ɢs
  Militants attack Iraq air base, U.S. assessment teams deploy HawkEye 0 213 2014-06-25, 03:48 PM
Last Post: HawkEye
  Iraq crisis: Rutba latest western town to fall to Isis DutchPride 0 269 2014-06-22, 08:12 PM
Last Post: DutchPride
  Iraq crisis pulls in U.S. and Iran as violent militants capture more cities. DutchPride 0 178 2014-06-16, 11:25 PM
Last Post: DutchPride

About Us | Contact Us | CPA Elites | Advertise | Stats | Staff Team

© 2013-2017 CPA Elites Ltd
Enhanced by MyBB and WallBB
Return to top